Call Now For A Free Consultation (208) 322-7274
Idaho Rules of the Road: Exceptions to Driving on Right Side of Roadway
Car accidents often may occur from a vehicle driving on the left side of the road in an attempt to overtake another vehicle. The following are exceptions to driving on right side of roadway under the Idaho Rules of the Road.
Idaho Code § 49-630. DRIVE ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY — EXCEPTIONS.
- Upon all highways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway except as follows:
- When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;
- When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway. Any person doing so shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within a distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;
- Upon a highway divided into three (3) marked lanes for traffic under the applicable rules; or
- Upon a highway restricted to one-way traffic.
- Upon all highways any vehicle proceeding at less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing, shall be driven in the right-hand lane available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
- No vehicle shall be driven to the left of the center line upon any highway having four (4) or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, except when authorized by a traffic-control device designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the highway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under subsection (1)(b) of this section. This subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center-line in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road or driveway.
Idaho Code § 49-635. FURTHER LIMITATION ON DRIVING ON LEFT OF CENTER OF HIGHWAY
- No vehicle shall be driven on the left side of the highway under the following conditions:
- When approaching or upon the crest of a grade or a curve in the highway where the driver’s view is obstructed within a distance as to create a hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction;
- When approaching within one hundred (100) feet of or traversing any intersection or railroad grade crossing, unless otherwise indicated by traffic control devices;
- When the view is obstructed upon approaching within one hundred (100) feet of any bridge, viaduct or tunnel.
- The foregoing limitations shall not apply upon a one-way highway, nor under the conditions described in subsection (1)(b) of section 49-630, Idaho Code, nor to the driver of a vehicle turning left into or from an alley, private road or driveway.
- A motorist may drive to the left of no passing pavement markings to complete a passing maneuver started in advance of the no-passing zone, providing the requirements of section 49-634, Idaho Code, are met.
- The provisions of this section do not apply under the conditions described in section 49-630(1)(b), Idaho Code, nor to the driver of a vehicle turning into, or from a highway.
Auto Accident Lawyer Boise
If you need an experienced auto accident lawyer in Boise, contact the attorneys at Parke Gordon Law Firm. Our law office has years of experiences fighting for car accident clients and getting them a fair settlement. Personal injury attorney and Harvard law grad Mat Parke believes every client deserves fair representation, not just big insurance companies with deep pockets. Let our law firm take the stress out of your car accident by fighting big insurance companies in your behalf. Call our Boise law office today for a free consultation to get started.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Call Now For A Free Consultation (208) 322-7274 Most Common Mistakes That Can Sink Your Personal Injury Claim If you’ve been injured in an accident due to the negligence of another, you need an experienced, trusted and knowledgeable personal injury attorney to handle your personal injury claim. Why? Well, there are some common mistakes that…Read More
Call Now For A Free Consultation (208) 322-7274 Recoverable Damages After an Accident Involving Injuries After being injured in a car accident, motorcycle accident, semi truck accident or any other type of injury accident, the insurance company will press to come to a quick settlement. This is so you get as little compensation for damages…Read More
Boise, Idaho Law Office
Our Boise, Idaho law office provides legal services to injury clients in and surrounding Boise, including clients injured in accidents in Boise, Nampa, Meridian, and Caldwell. Visit or call our Boise office now.
1150 W State St. #300
Boise, ID 83702