Call Now For A Free Consultation (208) 322-7274
Hit and Run Bicycle Accident in Meridian
A Boise bicyclist is looking for justice after being involved in a hit and run bicycle accident in Meridian. The man claims he was run over by an SUV near the intersection of Fairview Avenue and Eagle Road in Meridian. He was riding his bike home from work around 4:30 p.m. in December. While traveling east along the sidewalk on Fairview Avenue, an SUV came out of a parking lot and ran into him. According to a Meridian Police report, the car was an older, blue SUV. The bicyclist does not recall the details of the SUV because all he saw was the grill of the vehicle as it hit him. The crash sent the bicyclist to the hospital with major cuts and bruises. He has now accumulated over $6,000 worth of medical bills plus $800 worth of damages to his bike. Witnesses of the bicycle accident did not see the vehicle’s license plate number.
What Can You Do if Hit by an Unknown Driver in a Bicycle Accident?
A bicyclist has the same rights and responsibilities as a motor vehicle when driving on public roads. When a negligent driver crashes into a bicyclist, runs them off the road, or hits them by opening a door then leaves the scene, it is considered a hit and run crime. A hit and run accident can lead to misdemeanor or felony charges if the driver is found at fault. Under the law, the bicyclist can also file a lawsuit against the negligent driver to obtain compensation for damages and injuries. However, if the at-fault driver cannot be identified, the bicyclist can obtain some compensation by filing a claim against their own personal auto insurance with uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage or a medical insurance policy.
The best compensation will be obtainable only if the unknown driver is identified. If the driver is identified and found at fault, a personal injury lawyer would be able to fight to get you the most compensation possible.
Tips for a Hit and Run Bicycle Accident
Here are some tips for a bicyclist who is hit by someone who flees the scene to catch the responsible driver and protect your ability to file a lawsuit against them.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, the damages to your bike, weather conditions at the scene, skid marks, and your injuries.
- Talk to any witnesses and get their contact information (full name and phone number).
- Call the police. A responding officer will be able to create an accident report. By failing to obtain an accident report, you may lose your right to compensation from your own insurance company and the at-fault driver. Even if you think the at-fault driver will not be found, file a police report with local authorities.
- Receive medical care. Always go to the doctor after any motor vehicle accident. Doing so documents medical records that can later help your case. Tell the doctor you were involved in an accident and report any injuries even if minor. By receiving a medical car, your medical records will protect your right to medical expense compensation.
- Notify your insurance providers. Many auto insurance policies cover bicyclists who travel on roadways. Let your insurance company know about the accident if you think you will need to file a claim to cover your losses. Learn as much as you can about the compensation you are owed through your own insurance policies (medical and auto). If the driver is not found, these may be the only compensation opportunities for you.
Contact a Boise Bicycle Accident Attorney
Contact the bicycle accident attorneys at Parke Gordon Law Firm for a free consultation. This is your opportunity to discuss your bicycle accident case with an experienced lawyer. We’re on your side and will fight for your rights. Our trusted attorneys can usually tell you over the phone if you have a good case. Call our Boise law office today at (208) 322-7274. If we take on your case, you pay nothing until your case is settled.
You Pay Nothing Until We Win Your Case
Call Now For A Free Consultation (208) 322-7274 5 Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall Accident Slip and fall accidents are fairly common. In fact, most people will suffer from a slip, trip, and fall accident at some point in their lives. Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere and to anybody. It’s…Read More
Call Now For A Free Consultation (208) 322-7274 Jackknife Semi-truck Accidents One of the most dangerous types of semi-truck accidents is when the truck jackknifes. Semi-truck accidents are some of the most dangerous of all types of motor vehicle accidents. In fact, in 2016, more than 3,800 people were killed as a result of a…Read More
Boise, Idaho Law Office
Our Boise, Idaho law office provides legal services to injury clients in and surrounding Boise, including clients injured in accidents in Boise, Nampa, Meridian, and Caldwell. Visit or call our Boise office now.
1150 W State St. #300
Boise, ID 83702